KS2 French 2021
Y3 and Y4 French
This is a new primary scheme of work (including resources) created for Cam Trust schools, and is available for any teachers to download, adapt and use.
The lesson materials were created by Dr Marie-Odile Guillou (biog and contact details) and me.
The SOW implements key recommendations from the pedagogy review and the Ofsted languages research report, which highlight the three key knowledge strands phonics, vocabulary and grammar. The lessons draw on the NCELP French team (led by Natalie Finlayson and Cath Salkeld) KS3 SOW and resources, which are in turn informed by the research work of Professor Emma Marsden and colleagues, including Dr Rowena Kasprowicz.
All resources are licensed as CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.
This means that you can:
- Share and use the material
- Edit and build from the material
As long as you:
- "BY" Attribute, say who the work is "by". A proper attribution for an edited resource could look like this: "This resource is based on Y3_4_rouge_t1_w1_lesson (by Guillou, Marie-Odile; Hawkes, Rachel), licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0." Note that it links to: (A) the resource (B) the owner and (C) the license.
- "NC" Are using it for non-commercial activity, ie do not earn any money from your use of the materials. For example, these resources can be used at free talks with our license, but not in paid talks.
- "SA" Assign the same license CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 to anything you create, meaning the material is "shared alike"
Artwork is by Steve Clarke. All additional pictures selected are available under a Creative Commons license, no attribution required.
I will eventually include here the SOW document (Excel) and other support material. (We will have SOW, primary languages policy doc, and a language guide booklet).
The overall curriculum plan for KS2 French has the following design:
- Time allocation (realistic yet optimal)
- 60 minutes per week in total
- a 30-minute lesson
- five mini follow ups (4 of 5 minutes, 1 of 10 minutes)
- The three strands
- phonics and grammar repeat in Y3 & 4 and then again in Y5 & 6
- vocabulary varies (so that lessons themselves are different)
- Structure (4-year consecutive or 2-year rolling)
- the repetition of phonics and grammar content together with the variation in vocabulary makes it possible for the years Rouge and Jaune to be completed in either order, and the same for Bleu and Vert
Here is a termly overview of the contexts for learning, the phonics, vocabulary and structures we teach. Follow the term links (Autumn, Spring, Summer) to get to the lesson resources.
Links will become 'live' as the materials become available.
Note: The previous KS2 French SOW and resources will remain on the site.
Overview document: Language Progression KS2 French
Here is an example (editable) of a Primary Languages Policy Document
Half-term 1: Describing me and others
Half-term 2: Saying what I and others have
Phonics: the SSC (sound-symbol correspondences) taught this term are:
Vocabulary: greetings, adjectives to describe mood and character, days of the week, nouns for possessions, positional prepositions in, on, under, ‘I have a present for’ story
Grammar: être (singular) regular adjective agreement (-e) with and without pronunciation change, (-eux, -euse) and adjectives already ending in -e, avoir (singular), singular indefinite articles (un, une), intonation questions (including with quoi, où)
Half-term 1: Saying what I and others do
Half-term 2: Saying how many and describing things
Phonics: the SSC (sound-symbol correspondences) taught this term are: [é/et/ez/er] [è/ê] [oi] [(a)in] [ai]
Vocabulary: verbs and nouns to describe a range of activities, numbers 1-12, à meaning at, in, to
Grammar: -ER present tense (singular), singular definite articles (le, la), regular plural marking on nouns (-s), plural indefinite article (des), il y a, intonation question (including with combien)
Half-term 1: Describing things and people
Half-term 2: Expressing likes and saying what I and others do
Phonics: the SSC (sound-symbol correspondences) taught this term are: [SFe] soft [c/ç] [-ien] [qu] [j/soft g] [-tion]
Vocabulary: colour and other adjectives to describe animals, story creation, loves and hates, Hungry Caterpillar (rouge), revisit days, Toute une année (jaune) months
Grammar: revisit definite articles & adjective agreement, subject pronouns (il/elle) with objects to mean ‘it’, plural definite article (les), using aimer | détester + definite article, revisit intonation questions (including with comment, quand)
When you click on Autumn, Spring, Summer you will get to separate pages, each with the layout of the SOW for that term (like the current page but with different column design).