KS2 Spanish 2021
Y5 and Y6 Spanish
This is a new primary scheme of work and resources created for Cam Trust schools, and available for any other teachers to download, adapt and use.
The lesson materials were created by Paula Vázquez-Valero, Spanish teacher and SLE at Comberton Village College and me.
The SOW draws on key recommendations from the pedagogy review and the Ofsted languages research report, which highlight the three key knowledge strands phonics, vocabulary and grammar. The lessons therefore owe much to the NCELP team’s KS3 SOW and resources (led for Spanish by Nick Avery and Amanda Izquierdo), which are in turn informed by the research work of Professor Emma Marsden and colleagues, including Rowena Kasprowicz.
All resources are licensed as CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.
This means that you can:
- Share and use the material
- Edit and build from the material
As long as you:
- "BY" Attribute, say who the work is "by". A proper attribution for an edited resource could look like this: "This resource is based on Y5_6_azul_t1_w1_lesson (by Vázquez-Valero, Paula; Hawkes, Rachel), licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0." Note that it links to: (A) the resource (B) the owner and (C) the license.
- "NC" Are using it for non-commercial activity, ie do not earn any money from your use of the materials. For example, these resources can be used at free talks with our license, but not in paid talks.
- "SA" Assign the same license CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 to anything you create, meaning the material is "shared alike"
Artwork is by Steve Clarke. All additional pictures selected are available under a Creative Commons license, no attribution required.
I will eventually include here the SOW document (Excel) and other support material. (We will have SOW, primary languages policy doc, and a language guide booklet).
The overall curriculum plan for KS2 Spanish has the following design:
- Time allocation (realistic yet optimal)
- 60 minutes per week in total
- a 30-minute lesson
- five mini follow ups (4 of 5 minutes, 1 of 10 minutes)
- The three strands
- phonics and grammar repeat in Y3 & 4 and then again in Y5 & 6
- vocabulary varies (so that lessons themselves are different)
- Structure (4-year consecutive or 2-year rolling)
- the repetition of phonics and grammar content together with the variation in vocabulary makes it possible for the years Rojo and Amarillo to be completed in either order, and the same for Azul and Verde
Here is a termly overview of the contexts for learning, the phonics, vocabulary and structures we teach. Follow the term links (Autumn, Spring, Summer) to get to the lesson resources.
Links will become 'live' as the materials become available.
Note: The previous KS2 Spanish SOW and resources will remain on the site.
Overview document: Language Progression KS2 Spanish
Here is an example (editable) of a Primary Languages Policy Document
Half-term 1: Describing me and others
Half-term 2: Saying what I and others have
Phonics: the SSC (sound-symbol correspondences) revisited this term are: [a] [o] [e] [u] [i] [ca] [co] [co] [ce] [ci] [ch] [z]. Strong (a,e,o) and weak (u,i) vowel combinations are introduced.
Vocabulary: adjectives to describe mood today and character generally, days of the week, months of the year, numbers 13-31, dates, interrogatives quién, qué, cuándo, cuál, cuántos/cuántas, nouns and adjectives for places, festivals, physical description
Grammar: estar (plural) for location & temporary state, ser (plural) for permanent traits & origin, plural adjective endings (for adjectives ending in -o, -a, -e, -z, -l, -s), hay, tener, singular indefinite articles (un, una), post-nominal adjectives, intonation questions, WH-questions with quién, qué, cuándo, cuál, cuántos/cuántas, negation with no
Half-term 1: Saying what I and others do
Half-term 2: Saying where you are going and what there is there
Phonics: the SSC (sound-symbol correspondences) revisited this term are: [l] [ll] [ga] [go] [gu] [que] [qui] [n] [ñ] [v] [b] [r] [rr] [h]. In addition, syllable stress patterns are introduced.
Vocabulary: verbs and nouns to describe a range of activities, countries, traditions, school, free time, physical geography
Grammar: -AR and -ER present tense (plural), singular definite articles (el, la), intonation questions, hay, negation with no, verb IR (singular), contractions del, al
Half-term 1: Saying what activities I and others do
Half-term 2: Saying what I and others like/dislike, want and have to do
Phonics: the SSC (sound-symbol correspondences) revisited this term are: [ge] [gi] [j] [gue] [gui]. In addition, the use of accents is practised.
Vocabulary: words for describing activities, places in town, weather, sport, instruments, things countries are famous for
Grammar: hacer (singular/plural), jugar (singular/plural), two-verb structures - amar|odiar, querer | deber | poder (singular) + infinitive, revisit intonation and WH- questions
When you click on Autumn, Spring, Summer you will get to separate pages, each with the layout of the SOW for that term (like the current page but with different column design).